RELEASE OMER ELDIGEIR & OTHER SCP LEADERSHIP FROM POLITICAL DETENTION IN SUDAN
We, the undersigned being committed to the advancement, promotion and protection of fundamental human rights, and concerned by the recent political developments in Sudan, in as far as the illegal arrest and detention of Mr. OMER ELDIGEIR, Leader of the Sudanese Congress Party (SCP), and other senior members of his party; do hereby:
1. The recognition of the inherent dignity and of the equal and inalienable rights of all members of the human race is the foundation of freedom, justice and peace in the World and in Sudan in particular;
2. That the equal and fair treatment of all Sudanese nationals, in the whole of the Sudan, is a right for all;
3. Our faith in fundamental human rights, in the dignity and worth of the human person and in the equal rights of men and women;
WE DECLARE THAT:
1. The criminalization of discussions and peaceful gatherings constitutes an astonishing and deeply shocking violation of fundamental international human rights law.
2. The issues that OMER ELDIGEIR party members address are directly related to the welfare of the public, and as such, no offence is committed by publicly discussing such issues.
3. In light of the fact that there is no democracy under dictatorship, we categorically and unequivocally assert that the nullification of all anti‐democratic laws and acts is a precondition to any democratic transformation.
WE, THUS PETITION:
African Commission on Human and People's Rights
African Union Commission
African Union High‐Level Implementation Panel
African Union Peace and Security Council
Pan African Parliament
The Intergovernmental Authority on Development
United Nations General Assembly
UN Office of the Special Adviser on Africa
United Nations Office to the African Union
Exert all manner of diplomatic pressure upon the Sudanese government to ensure that the Sudanese government, in the interest of the Sudanese people and the advancement, promotion and protection of fundamental international human rights, does the following:
1. Unconditionally release OMER ELDIGEIR and the rest of his SCP party members, who have been illegally detained with no charges.
2. Unconditionally release all Sudanese nationals who have been under political detention.
3. Lift, repeal and/or annul all laws pertaining to censorship and confiscation of newspapers and restrictions on freedom of speech and expression, with immediate effect.
Freedom for OMER ELDIGEIR and all detainees!
List of Detainees
1. Omer El Digeir ‐ Leader of Sudanese Congress Party (SCP)
2. Ibrahim al Shaikh ‐ Former Leader of the SCP
3. Kalid Omer Yousif ‐ Deputy Leader of the SCP
4. Abd ELgayyoum Awad Elsid – President of Central Committee of the SCP
5. Mastour Ahmed Mohamed – Secretary General of the SCP
6. Abdalla Shams El Kon
7. Bakri Yousif
8. Yasin Salah
9. Nour Eldin Babikir
10. Nour Eldin Salah Eldin
11. Ahmed Abu Zayd
12. Mohamed Elamin Abdelaziz
13. Abdelrahim Mustafa Abdelrahim
14. Elfatih Abdalla
15. Basim Abdalla
16 . Omer kamal
17. Asim Omer Since May 2016
18. Hafiz Araiby